Why Am I Suddenly Allergic to My Ring?

Before purchasing a silicone ring, many people want to make sure they are not allergic to the material. As with anything you are going to be wearing around your finger against your skin for several hours of every day, it’s important that your ring is made of a material that is comfortable and that won’t cause irritation over time.

Silicone rings definitely meet the requirements for being comfortable made with soft and stretchy silicone rubber. If you’ve been wearing a silicone ring for a while now and suddenly develop some type of allergy to it, here is some good information to help you figure out what’s going on.

Understanding Silicone Allergies

Silicone is a manmade material that is used in a very wide variety of applications, from personal and household goods to medical, commercial, and industrial settings. One of the reasons it is popular for things like medical devices, household products, and silicone rings is because the material is hypoallergenic and generally won’t cause allergic reactions for the vast majority of people. That is especially true when the material used to make a silicone product is medical-grade or food-grade. These designations indicate that the silicone was manufactured with the highest level of purity standards so there are no additives or potentially harmful irritants in there (that’s the kind of silicone we use for all of our Enso Rings). However, there are people who are allergic to silicone, so it’s also important to recognize the potential signs of a silicone allergy so you can get treatment if necessary. The most common signs of an allergic reaction include:

  • Skin reactions or irritation at the spot where the silicone is touching your skin. Redness, rash, swelling, itching, or raised skin (blistering) are all indications of a silicone allergy.

  • Eye irritations, such as blurry vision, watering, or itchy eyes. These are more common for someone who has silicone enter the inside of their bodies (for example, a silicone implant that ruptures).

  • Respiratory or breathing difficulties. In severe allergy situations your body could have a histamine response that causes swelling or hives in your airway and throat. This can cut off your air supply and lead to anaphylactic shock. If you are predisposed to allergies or concerned, you can carry an epinephrine injection (EpiPen®) that you or someone around you can inject to slow the allergic reaction while you get to a hospital emergency room.

  • Anxiety. Some people experience an anxious feeling when their body has an allergic reaction, which can include difficulty breathing and a feeling of claustrophobia.

You can get a skin patch test prior to buying a silicone ring to test for the allergy if you think you might be at risk. Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist to discuss this test.

How Silicone Allergies Differ from Latex Allergies

People often mistake silicone for latex, and the latter is known to cause allergic reactions is some people. Both materials are rubber, but the way they are made is very different. Silicone is made from silica sand that is formed into silicon and then combined with carbon, hydrogen, and other natural elements to form a strong polymer rubber.

Latex is derived from a rubber tree and used to make things like gloves, balloons, and condoms. This material can cause an allergic reaction when it comes in contact with the skin. The most common reactions are trouble breathing, hives, and itchy or watery eyes. Silicone rings from Enso Rings are not made of latex rubber, and should not cause a reaction even if you have a latex allergy

Developing a Sudden Allergy to a Silicone Ring

Sometimes people develop what they think is a sudden allergy to a silicone ring, but that’s not always the case. If you do not have a known silicone allergy, and nothing has changed for you since you first started wearing a silicone ring, it might not actually be an allergy. It may just be skin irritation in the area of your ring, which can happen for several reasons:

  • Dirt trapped under the ring that needs to be cleaned

  • Chemicals or other irritants that got on the ring and have not been cleaned off properly

  • Sweat or water that is trapped between the ring and your finger and cannot dry out completely

The good news is that all these things can be solved pretty easily. Take your ring off and clean it thoroughly. If you know that it was recently exposed to something like chemicals, consider sterilizing it by boiling it in water on the stove for 20 minutes or putting it through a cycle in your dishwasher (check out this blog post for more details on different ways to clean your ring). Leave your ring off for several hours or even for a few days to allow your irritated skin time to “breathe” without a silicone ring on, and time to heal. You may want to look for lotions that don’t have any dyes or perfumes to put on the irritated skin and help it heal. Talk to your doctor if you have sensitive skin or other medical conditions and need advice on the best products to use.

If you still experience irritation when you put the ring back on or the skin irritation doesn’t get better within a few days, it’s best to go see a doctor. Don’t wear your silicone ring again until you’ve had a chance to discuss it with a medical professional.

Shop Enso Rings

To find high quality medical-grade silicone rings that are safe for most people and generally won’t cause allergic reactions, shop the collection at Enso Rings today.

Back to Blog