Can You Be Allergic to Silicone Rings?

Silicone wedding rings are manmade from silicon (without the ‘e’, which is created from natural silica sand). Manufacturers add elements like carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen to create strong bonds and make the material durable and able to withstand just about anything. Silicone is not a naturally occurring mineral or element, though, which means that some people can be allergic to it. This is rare, but it’s important to understand the signs of a silicone allergy so you can avoid it if you have this reaction.

Latex vs Silicone

It’s important to note that silicone rubber, and the natural ingredients that are used to form silicone, are different from latex. Latex rubber is derived from the bark of a rubber tree. Tappers remove the bark and ducts inside the plant release a milky white substance (latex). There are actually more than 20,000 flowering plants in 40 plant family species that contain latex, which accounts for around 14% of tropical plant species and about 10% of all plant species.

There are people who experience allergies to latex rubber, but since silicone rubber is derived from a totally different ingredient (silica sand), just because you are allergic to latex does not mean you are also allergic to silicone rubber.

Silicone Allergies

Despite being made of natural materials, some people might still experience irritation and an allergic reaction when they wear silicone rings. Common signs of a silicone allergy include:

  • Red rash

  • Swelling

  • Itchy or irritated skin

  • Swelling in the hands, legs, or other body parts

  • Eye infection (itchy, watery eyes)

  • Nausea

  • Throat swelling

  • Difficulty breathing

What to Do if You Experience a Silicone Reaction

Some symptoms may be mild and will go away as soon as your skin is not in contact with the silicone anymore. However, some symptoms can be severe and require that you seek immediate medical attention. If you have noticeable irritation, redness, and itching around the area of your silicone ring, take it off your finger.

If your ring was recently exposed to some type of chemicals or irritants, that may be causing the allergic reaction, so you can try to clean your ring with soap and warm water, or boil it on the stove for 15 to 20 minutes to sanitize it. Wash the area of irritation as well, and keep the ring off until the itching and redness is gone. You can try putting the clean ring on again to see if the reaction was to something besides the ring.

For questions about your silicone ring, contact Enso Rings helpful and friendly customer care team.

Back to Blog