422EE6E9-046C-4CAA-B2C8-4088D3FCF1E8 Created with sketchtool. 0

Are Silicone Rings Hypoallergenic? | Enso Rings

Are Silicone Rings Hypoallergenic?

Silicone wedding rings have become a popular accessory for many people, especially if you can’t wear metal rings at work because of safety concerns, or you want something that can go on your adventurous lifestyle without getting damaged or lost. But there is another reason that people are switching to silicone, and it has to do with allergic skin reactions.

 

Skin Reactions to Metal Rings

If your ring is made of metal, you may experience an allergic reaction around your finger every time you wear it. While it’s not super common for people to be allergic to gold or other precious metals, it can happen. It causes a rash from contact dermatitis, which can leave your skin itchy, red, and irritated in the places where the ring came in contact with your skin. Even expensive precious metal rings can sometimes have traces of other metal that will cause an allergic reaction.

 

Silicone Rings are Hypoallergenic

Silicone rings, by contrast, are made of a rubber material that is designed for skin contact. While there are still a few people who might have trouble with allergic reactions, the vast majority of people can safely wear silicone rings without any problems.

The rubber is made from medical-grade materials that are safe to the touch and safe to be against your skin, including silicon, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. These naturally-occurring materials are mixed into a substance that can withstand extremely high heat and very cold temperatures, and can stretch and flex as needed.

 

Important Considerations When Wearing Silicone Rings

If you do experience a rash or other irritation at the site, make sure you aren’t allergic to silicone (a very small number of people might be). If you are, remove the silicone ring from being in contact with your skin.

Other people might notice a rash or irritation, but you are not actually allergic to the silicone material. The reason for the rash is just that silicone is not a breathable material, so if water or other things get stuck between the ring and your skin, it could cause irritation, itching, or a rash. Similarly, if your rings gets chemicals on it and you don’t properly clean it off, it could irritate your skin where the ring and chemicals are in contact with your finger.

To keep your ring clean, follow these tips:

  • Wash it with soap and warm water anytime it’s in contact with dirt or chemicals
  • Boil the ring for 15-20 minutes if you have something that won’t come out with soap and warm water
  • Take off your ring for a few minutes after you sweat a lot, shower, or swim to dry
  • Consider removing the ring at night to allow your finger to breathe

 

Get a Silicone Ring Today

Silicone rings are safe for almost anyone, so if you can’t wear metal, get a hypoallergenic alternative at Enso Rings today.